Thursday 25 November 2010

How to Overcome Your Fear of Squats

Last Friday I talked about how every strength trainer, no matter how strong he is, will always experience some kind of fear when facing unfamiliar weights.

Today I’m going to reveal you 2 techniques to overcome your fear of Squats.

The first one is called Walkouts and goes like this: after your Squat sets, pick a weight that is about 45lbs heavier than your work weight. Now get under the bar, unrack the weight, walk backwards to where you normally Squat and stand there for 10 seconds. Then walk back to the rack and set the bar down.

Walkouts will strengthen your joints and ligaments while getting you used to lifting heavier weights. Make sure you do them inside your Power Rack, with the safety pins high and ready to catch the bar would anything go wrong.

There’s another technique to overcome your fear of Squats that I’m about to share in a moment. First, in 2005 I did indoor climbing for a few months. Was pretty good at it, could climb 5c’s within weeks without even using climbing shoes or chalk. If I would ever quit lifting I’d probably get into climbing.

The funny thing is that I actually have some fear of heights. This turns out to be quite common and the usual advice is to practice falling. Here’s why: there’s knowing you’re safe, and there’s experiencing it. Once you experience it, then the psychological barriers are removed and you can really go all out.

The same method applies to Squats. Set the safety pins of your Power Rack so they can catch the weight, then Squat and let yourself drop on purpose. The pins will catch the barbell. You no longer know it’s safe, you’ve experienced it. This is how you can overcome the fear of injury on Squats, and this is also why you absolutely need a Power Rack (or Squat Stands with saw horses).

Most of the things you fear will almost never happen. Keep that in mind.

Email This • Get Free Updates• Print

9 Responses to “”pboonnao says:November 22, 2010 at 1:24 pm

True.

Dan says:November 22, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I wish my gym had power racks.
they only have squat stands with a pretty low catching frame. if you’re over 5’9″ / 180 cm you’re pretty much trapped under there I imagine

Vishal Verma says:November 22, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Quite similar to walkouts strategy for squats, I do rack lockouts before bench press every time I am feeling a bit diffident about heavy weight. Yes sometimes it works. Not always though. But it’s still better than sticking to the same weight for the fear of failing. At times when you are scared of failing, all you can do is put your best foot forward. And little tricks (walkouts, lockouts etc) like these give you that little confidence you need.

KevinT says:November 22, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Interesting that this article should come out today.

Last year I didn’t back out far enough, clipped a plate on the side of squat rack on the way down, stumbled and fell backwards onto the pins. Nothing hurt but my pride so I just laughed, re-racked and finished my session.

After a summer spent sprint canoeing I am working my way back to some semblence of strength (week 5) and backed 122.5kg of the hooks. It felt oddly heavy and my back was playing up, but its only 122.5kg! In the hole of squat 2 my back went (history of SIJ issues) and there was no way back up. I collapsed it onto the pins, crawled out, swore, stretched and put the plates back on the tree. that was me done for the day and probably the rest of the week as well! But, although as I write there are beads of sweat on my forehead from the pain, I know it could have been a lot lot worse.

That’s twice the equipment has proved its worth and I know beyond doubt that if I can lift it I will lift it and if I find I can’t then the rack WILL protect me – nothing to fear!

Don says:November 22, 2010 at 4:23 pm

The walkouts are an idea I had not read before–great tip. I will definitely add these to my squats (which really are improving and I’m going to hit my 1.5xsBW within the next 6 weeks. SL5x5 is so darned sensible compared to most of the nonsense I see people doing in our Navy/Marine Corp gym.

Vivek says:November 22, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Nice idea!! You got really practical ideas not only theoritical! This is the best part about you Mehdi.

rere says:November 22, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Sensible advice. I think a lot more gyms need to invest in power racks. I stopped doing walkouts, thanks for the prompt Mehdi

Steve says:November 22, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I’m gonna give it a try tonight.

Hilts says:November 22, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Great idea so next workout I’m gonna try walkouts! I’ve already experienced dropping the weights within my power rack. Thanks for the tip.

Leave a ReplyClick here to cancel reply.

Your First Name (required)

Your Email (will not be published) (required)


View the
Original article

No comments:

Post a Comment