Saturday 13 November 2010

Are You Wasting Your Time Like This?

I’m a big fan of the 80-20 rule – the Pareto Principle – which states that roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes, or that the population can always be divided into 20% achievers and 80%, quite bluntly, losers.

With regard to muscle and strength building, here is the secret 20% that will translate into 80% of your gains…

Progressive LoadingCaloriesConsistency

Consistently add weight to the bar while making sure you reach your caloric needs and I guarantee you that 1 year from now you’ll have dramatically increased your muscle mass and strength while melting away stubborn fat.

But what do I see 80% of the guys do? Waste their time with those 20% details that frankly don’t really matter for them.

Low bar or high bar Squats?1 or 2g/lb of protein per day?Low fat or whole milk?

The list goes on and on. And it sure makes for interesting discussions, but it doesn’t get you closer to your goal. You need focus – in this case, focus on the 20% that translates into 80% of your muscle and strength gains.

I said that training mattered more than diet for muscle and strength, but there’s always an exception. How many guys do you see Squatting 490bs, Deadlifting 550lbs and Benching 380lbs like SL Member Don (31, USA) does? Exactly.

The more you progress, the more the 20% become important. But make sure you master the 80% first. This ain’t rocket science unless you want it to be.

Email This • Get Free Updates• Print

3 Responses to “”AdamH says:November 12, 2010 at 4:40 pm

I think the flip of this also applies:

You don’t need to shoot for 100% perfection – if your diet/training are perfect 80% of the time, that other 20% is ok (holidays!). No need to drive yourself crazy.

Norman says:November 12, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Great post Mehdi! I tried lowering the weight so I would not have to eat as much in an attempt to loose fat.

I failed miserably.

I am back to lifting heavy and will continue to do so and do my best to keep my calories consistent. Let my clothes be the judge of muscle gains and fat loss.

Dchrist says:November 12, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Good post Mehdi.
Training is the key! I wish people would realize that.

Leave a ReplyClick here to cancel reply.

Your First Name (required)

Your Email (will not be published) (required)

XHTML: You can use these tags:
View the
Original article

No comments:

Post a Comment